Monday, May 2, 2011

8th grade 3-d Art

 Towards the end of each semester, in an attempt to keep the 8th grade classes challenged, I include some 3-d assignments.  Here are just a few.  The fiber coil pots start out a bit difficult, but once the students get the hang of the rhythm of the stitches, they tend to turn out beautifully.  We usually complete these before the holidays so they can take them home and use as gifts.
In the spring, students create a paper mache letter and a plaster mask. 
The letters are constructed from tag board with 3 layers of paper mache and then decoupaged with 3 colors of tissue paper.  The masks are created from plastic molds with two layers of plastercraft wrap and then painted and/or embellished. 
 Above is an attempt at using my new hallway display cases.  
I am lucky to have them, but I am still getting used to the not-so-secure shelves and the non-corked back wall...any suggestions on using the space better, especially from those of you that are veteran art displayers?

5 comments:

  1. I am j-e-a-l-o-u-s of your display cases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fibre coil pots are amazing!! Can you tell me a bit how you made them or point me in the direction of a good website or book? I've always wanted to try this technique...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coil pots turned out well. I've always wanted to try this with my middle schoolers, but invision a tangled mess. How did you implement it?
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned how to do the coil pots mostly by trial and error. There is a good list of steps at http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Sue-baskets.htm
    They are a bit difficult to begin. I usually do the first few steps for the students as they finish other projects, so it is more of a one-on-one beginning. Most catch on fairly quickly, then they can help the other beginners if they run into problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the coil baskets. Did this with a 3rd grade class. There were some definite coiling stars in the class. I have not found the appropriate rope to do this again myself. Hope to find some soon!!

    ReplyDelete