Friday, June 17, 2016

Summer Art Lovin'

One of the best things about being an Art Teacher 
is getting to find my ART MOJO in the summer!  
Here are a few of the projects completed so far this summer.
  Above is a "Color Challenge" for a Tessera Gallery in Wichita, KS.  Kits were put together by artist Kayann Ausherman and available for purchase. The challenge was to use at least 4 of the supplies in the kit for a finished piece.  I chose TURQUOISE, of course, and created this 11 by 14 inch piece. 
The title is "Emerging".
This is a class I took from Lisa Bruno at My Heart's Fancy in Edmond, OK.  It was fun using new Tim Holtz products to create what I call a shadow box canvas.
Here is another Reverse Painting.  They are so
addictive and easy to make. You can see more here.










This is a store sample for Mrs. O'Leary's using the shadow box canvas effect, the new Voyage Beneath the Sea Collection papers from Graphic 45 and Prima Archival Cast plaster pieces. I also used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, various stencils and embellishments.














This week I created this Mini Metal Book at
Art Unplugged #8 at Mrs.O'Leary's in Wichita.















The Book is about 2 by 3 by 1 inch thick.
Stamped Solder, Riveting, Photo Transfer
were some of the techniques learned.















Coptic Stitch was used to bind the book.

You can find more past Summer posts here, here, here.

Those Dragon Eyes!



7th graders created these 12 by 18 inch dragon eyes this spring.  
We practiced drawing dragon eyes on a small scale,
 including textures created with line and shape.
The eyes were enlarged and then skin textures were added, filling the space.
Students then chose which media to use. They could choose between
colored pencil or pencil on white paper, or charcoal pencil on khaki paper.
 
Students really enjoyed working on these using all of the drawing, shading and
blending skills they learned throughout the year to create a nice finished project!
8th graders create dragon drawings in the spring, as well. You can see them here.

Monday, March 7, 2016

gettin digi with it



Students created a digital portfolio of their work by taking pictures of  their art and then making an album with their iPads. Students then created a movie trailer of their work using iMovie. After creating their digital portfolio and their movie trailer, students digitally altered at least one of their artworks using the Pencil Sketch App. This App allows students to alter their work using various filters and create a brand new piece of art. This can then be added to their digital portfolio or printed out for their actual portfolio. Below are just a few of the altered works. Students created borders, negative imagery effects, changed coloring, and other filtering effects.








You can see the lessons for the original ideas of some of
 these projects here, here, and here.



Monday, December 7, 2015

Altered Sunflowers

This September my sister and I got to go play sunflower fielding around the Wichita area.  Once we found them, we had fun photographing the dream like awesomeness!  I used my IPad for some of the images.  When we returned home, I altered a few with the Pencil Sketch App. 



Above show the watercolor, colored pencil, and pencil filters. Below is the frame effect.
WARNING: Altering photos using the Pencil Sketch App is a bit addicting! The next experiment is to have students alter their artwork and print a few for their portfolios...will let you know how that goes!!!




Friday, November 13, 2015

Sugar Skull Art


7th grade created a few Day of the Dead Sugar Skull inspired art works last week.  Above shows Styrofoam prints we printed in black and white paint. We used the skull design worksheet below that I found on Pinterest for ideas.  They mixed and matched the details and traced and transferred to create a symmetrical skull design.
After printing 4 prints, students altered at least 2 with construction paper crayons. We also used the crayons to color their foam plates. We matted them to an extra paper that they inked up on to create another effect.

Their pattern for their print was then colored and matted to this optical illusion backgound I found on Pinterest.




Two of my 7th grade classes printed, the other two created metal repousee skulls.  We traced the patterns onto the metal, then indented the designs deeper by pushing directly into the metal and popped somethings forward from the back, then colored over the metal with colored sharpies. Students then chose papers to layer with and matted them.




















Overall, it was a great week celebrating Day of the Dead and learning some different techniques using the Sugar Skull as a motif. You can find more Day of the Dead art here.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Day of the Dead

These are my latest Day of the Dead projects. This is a wooden box with a a shadow box glued inside the lid to create a box of remembrance. I was able to gather different Day of the Dead symbols that are important to me and represent those who are dear to me who have passed. 


The front and back covers were painted black and then covered with this fun sugar skull paper.
This year's alter or ofrenda for my classroom has grown!  In addition to some fun Day of the Dead accessories, I added pictures of our artful Mexican ancestors to honor.
Jose Posada and his Catrina
Frida Khalo and her self portrait
Diego Rivera self portrait

This is the front/back of a 3 by 4 inch altered Artist Block in the Day of the Dead theme. I modpodged a pre-designed skull napkin over a distressed paint layer in white. I added rhinestones, corrugated cardboard, and lace to finish.
You can see more Day of the Dead projects here.

We will be creating sugar skull prints and metal repousees this week in 7th grade. Be sure to check back soon for pics!