We started out with a piece of heavy fusible interfacing that was about 6 by 9 inches. We then began to cut up bits of various weights and textures of fibers to create a composition.
We then added a piece of black tulle over the top of the fiber pieces. With a warm ironing, the pieces were loosely attached so that we could begin stitching through the layers using decorative threads.
The stitching was done on the sewing machine with a special embroidery foot and lowered or covered feed dogs. After stitching through the layers, we could add more decorative fibers on top and/or a finished edging.
I had tons of fun coming up with a variety of different composition possibilities and playing with all of the fibers! I am very glad I was able to learn a new skill and another artful use for my sewing machine!